23 October 2006
Christel and I have been quite neglectful of this blog to the point that there may not be anybody left who reads it. Nevertheless here are a few items by way of update:
- Christel has been feeling nauseous and fatigued lately but we are hoping that she is coming out of the early morning sickness phase.
- Our baby is still pretty tiny but we saw her/him bouncing up and down with her/his arms and legs flailing. (Either a ballet dancer or bronc rider to my way of thinking).
- Harvest is over along with its gruelling schedule (75-80 hrs per week). Now at least I can come home in the evening for supper and not be on the combine into the late hours of the night. (The crop yields were okay but a bit disappointing considering the vast amount of rain that we had in the spring, but there is much to be thankful for).
- Christel and I sang together in public for only the second time yesterday at church in Blackie (the first was at TBS friends- Justin and Elisha Galotti's wedding). We filled in leading the singing. It was fun worshipful and sounded pretty good I think (at least Christel did!).
- We are looking forward to seeing some visitors to Calgary next week. Pierre Constant, Professor of New Testament at TBS, and his wife Lise are taking a cross-Canada trip by train and will be in Calgary for a stopover. We hope to have them down to our ranchero. A few days later, Crawford Gribben, a professor at the University of Manchester, will be in Calgary to deliver lectures on 'Rapture Fiction' and Millenialism in North American Evangelicalism. The lectures are under the rubric of the Chair of Christian Thought at the University of Calgary. Crawford is a good friend of Dr. Haykin and Ian Clary and it is through them that I have been able to correspond with Crawford over the past year.
- I've been doing some horse-trading with our automobiles lately. I installed a new transmission into my old black Ford truck and am trying to sell it since we bought an SUV at an auction for Christel to drive this winter. I tried to sell our car at auction but I brought it home. I'm in discussions with a buyer, and it might be gone by the end of the week.
- I will be involved in the Fall Round-Up of our cattle at the northern summer pasture located south-west of Edmonton. I was working cattle there last week and still feel sore in my knees from all of the trees that had to squeeze my horse through!
- Yesterday after church we had a great time of fellowship with Steve& Julia, Peter& Anna, Pastor Todd & Bev. I had corresponded with Steve a bit regarding his efforts to see a Calvinistic Baptist church plant get started in Calgary. Peter introduced himself to me at church but I was confused about where I had met him. It seems that Peter was at Grace Fellowship Church in Toronto (Pastored by Paul Martin-Kerux Noemata) on the evening when I preached there (an over-long sermon which can be agonized through here). All of us had a wonderful time of discussion and laughter, filled as we were from Pastor Todd's excellent sermon from 1 Peter 2:1-2.
- Lord willing we are going to Phoenix on October 31st for a much needed vacation. It will be a cheap holiday matching Air Miles with a free use of a relative's condo. When we return I will be teaching on some 'Heroes' of the Christian Faith at Okotoks E-Free (Dan& Marlene Sudfeld).
- Finally, I am developing some classes to be taught at local churches. My hope is that I can have enough financial support from teaching as I currently do from my farm-wage. If this could happen I would stop working on the farm (or cut back drastically) and concentrate on prep and teaching. Please pray for this option, especially that there would be sufficient interest in some of the classes I hope to offer.
Links to this post:
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]